1.3 Navigation & User Interface (UI) Getting Started Checklist:
- Understanding the Home Page
- Understanding the Main Navigation Bar
- How to Add Records and Use Search, Filter, Column Selector, Export Tools
- Where to find the Home Tools
- Where to find the Communication Tools
- Where to find the Institution Account
- Where to find the Institution Config
- Where to find your User Account
- Main Menus: Prospects, Students, Courses and Programs
1.3 Supporting Guides & Documents:
1. Understanding the Home Page
Once logged into the system you will find yourself on the Home Page. Depending on your assigned Role the home page will show a synopsis of your own User agenda (composed of Events assigned/related to you such as General Todo's, Prospect Events, Student Events and Courses) Email and Announcements. The top left you will notice the Home Icon (House) and Communication Icon (Horn) and when clicked will reveal a pulldown and additional Home Tools and Communication Tools. To return to the Home Page at any time Click the Home Icon and Select Home.
Image 1. Screenshot of the ampEducator Home Page
The Home Page: Agenda will show you any events that are assigned to you organized by Today, Next 7 Days and Late. Each of these has brackets that contain a count of the Events that fall under each category to be reviewed. The type of Event will be indicated by to the right. Clicking on the Event Name will open Edit Event in a popup window allowing you to conveniently update events right from this page. Clicking on the Name of any Prospect or Student will take you directly to their Profile.
The Home Page: Email Inbox will display the most recent Emails that you have received. There are various options for using Email in ampEducator. For more information on how to configure email in ampEducator please See Communication Guide.
The Home Page: Announcements will display the most recent Announcements that you have received. These can be from ampEducator or other Staff.
2. Understanding the Main Navigation Bar
The main navigation bar along the top of the screen gives you access to the main areas of ampEducator which are from left to right; Home Tools, Communication Tools, Prospects, Students, Courses and Programs. To the far right you will see Username and ? to request help from the support team. Clicking your Username (top right) will reveal additional options which are Institution Account, Institution Config, User Account and Logout.
Only Admin User Role can access Institution Account and Institution Config - all other users will only be able to see the User Account.
Image 2. Screenshot of ampEducator General Navigation
3. How to Add Records and Use Search, Filter, Column Selector, Export Tools.
There is a common User Interface to add new data to all sections of ampEducator using Labelled Green buttons. When available, the “More Actions” button will appear allowing you to perform multiple actions on records you select within the section or additional functionality within the list section.
Image 3. Screenshot of ampEducator common Add New/ Selection/List User Interface
The other common navigation elements / buttons to the right count/control what data appears in the section lists you are viewing. By order of appearance, these are 1 to a max of 25 per page of the total # record count for the Filter and Column Selector. Followed by the Export and Refresh options. Filters and Columns that a User selects to show data in the List are specific to the User only and do not affect other Users views. These settings are also stored and will remain the same each time the User logs in until they are updated. If a User is having trouble locating data records it is common new User error to forget to remove a Filter that is restricting the data from being displayed on the list. Export will extract only the records displayed in the list based on Filters selected and Export to PDF, CSV and XML formats. Each Column selected to display in the list can be clicked on to sort the data in the Column Ascending or Descending.
ampEducator allows you to Search within each section of Prospects, Students, Courses and Programs. When you Search you will notice that the Search Box will highlight yellow. This indicates a Search has been applied to your List. The last Search will be remembered and you will need to clear the Search Box by selecting the characters, deleting them and hitting “Enter/Return” on your keyboard. One of the most common misconceptions or errors that new users make is using the Refresh button to clear search results. This will not work - you will have to delete the characters and hit “Enter/Return” on the keyboard. While confusing at first - this is actually much faster in practice then having to click Refresh each time you search.
Image 4. Screenshot of the ampEducator Search highlighted in Yellow
Depending on which section you are in the Search criteria varies for this function.
Search Prospects by:
- First Name & Last Name (Middle Name is excluded)
Search Students by:
- First Name & Last Name (Middle Name is excluded)
- Student ID
Search Courses by:
Search Programs by:
4. Where to find the Home Tools
There are additional Tools found under the Home Icon pulldown menu. Depending on the user Role and Location Access you may or may not see all the options. The complete list is outlined below:
Image 5. Screenshot of the ampEducator Home Tools
- Home. This returns you to the Home Page with Agenda, Email Inbox and Announcements.
- Accounts. For viewing Accounting Data for the entire Institution. Please See Accounts Guide.
- Contracts. Create Contracts with Digital Signature. Please See Contracts Guide.
- Course Templates. This is similar to a Course Catalog for the Institution. See
- Documents. Document Management for the Institution shared by User Role.
- Evaluations. Create Evaluations for use with Courses. Please See Evaluations Guide.
- Forms. Create Web based Forms for use with Prospects, Students and Public Users.
- Groups. Create Groups of Prospects and/or Students to send Email / SMS Campaigns and more.
- Imports. Import Data using CSV files to various sections of ampEducator.
- Reports. These are where Custom Reports built specifically for your Institution are installed.
- Staff & Instructors. Here is where you create and manage your Staff Users.
- Templates. Used primary with Email and Letter/Document Generation.
- Tests. Create Multiple Choice/Open Ended Tests for use with Courses. See Tests Guide.
5. Where to find the Communication Tools
There are additional Communications Tools found under the Communications Icon pulldown menu. Depending on the user Role and Location Access you may or may not see all the options. The complete list is shown below:
Image 6. Screenshot of the ampEducator Communications Tools
- Announcements. Any you have made or that are actively still available with your user Role.
- Calendar. View Events in a Calendar format for the entire Institution.
- Emails. Shows all your Email available to you in one place. Please See Communications Guide.
- SMS. Shows all your SMS available to you in one place. Please See Communications Guide.
6. Where to find the Institution Account
Under your Username (top right) when clicked will reveal a pulldown menu including Institution Account. There are 4 things you should do at minimum in this section:
- Add a Main Contact that will be the Admin User Role point of Contact for our Support Team to approve any changes to your account
- Add a Financial Contact to receive invoices from ampEducator
- Configure your Support Emails to tell ampEducator where to direct support requests from Students.
- Enter a valid credit card to activate your account.
There are additional optional but useful items in this section. Please refer Step 2 - Institution Account.
7. Where to find the Institution Configuration
Under your Username (top right) when clicked will reveal a pulldown menu containing Institution Configuration. This section is only accessible by Admin Role and Institution Configuration is where you configure options in ampEducator. The only requirement is to have at least 1 Academic Sessions. However, there are many other options to consider and this depends on what features you wish to use.
Q: What is an Academic Session?
A: All institutions have different types of available dates that may occur for the education they provide. Some are pre-determined and some are more flexible moving targets. No matter how you offer your learning there are specific calendar date(s) that your Student will engage with your institution. Academic Sessions allow you to establish a basic Calendar range in which to start /filter Students, Courses and/or Programs and so you must define your Academic Session(s) in ampEducator.
Examples of Academic Sessions use in ampEducator Institution Configuration:
Name: “2020” based on Calendar Year, Jan 1 to Dec 31
Name: “2020/2021” based on overlapping Calendar Years: Jan 1, 2020 to Dec 31, 2021
Name: “2020” based on Operating or Fiscal Year: Sep 1 to Aug 31
Name: “Term 1 or Fall 2020” By Terms or Quarter/Summer/Fall Sessions: Sep 1 to Nov 30
Name: “Program/Course/Module A Fall 2020” By Program Dates.
You can also have multiple Program Intake Dates within a Session. If you are unsure, we recommend that you start by following the Calendar Year. Academic Sessions can always be updated at a later date as required.
8. Where to find your User Account
Under your Username (top right) when clicked will reveal a pulldown menu containing User Account. This section is where you configure your own User Login options in ampEducator such as changing your User Login under User Account > Details > Username or password using the "Change Pass" Button. Additionally, you can check off if you wish to receive Daily Agenda or Receive Email Notifications from ampEducator. Daily Agenda will email you each morning of any Events that have been set by you or other users on your behalf. If you would like enable/disable 2 Factor Authentication you can set this up here and if you wish to disable this function an Admin User can do this under Home Tools > Staff & Instructors. You can sync any existing calendars with ampEducator by using the calendar link provided with Google Calendar or Outlook Calendar and adding the link as a public URL. This will display any events you add to ampEducator in your third party Calendars (this will only push out event information, adding to Google Calendar will not Events to ampEducator Calendar). Depending on your Email Provider you also configure your Email Tracking in ampEducator - for more information please see Communication Guide.
9. Main Menus: Prospects, Students, Courses and Programs
As previously mentioned, there are 4 major menu sections to choose from in ampEducator. Prospects, Students, Courses and Programs. These are based on the common lifecycle that all students follow, from lead status to transcript generation.
Prospective Students become Students and are Enrolled into Programs and/or Courses.
The process can vary greatly depending on each institution and often from different types of learning offered within the same institution. ampEducator was purpose built from the beginning working together with Higher Education Institutions to allow for the greatest amount of flexibility for managing the complex tasks to move Students through their respective learning paths. From application forms to certificates and everything in between, ampEducator has a high degree of configuration that allows Admin users to make changes themselves without the need to get our support team involved.
Technical Guide - 1.3 Navigation & User Interface
Go to Next Step - 1.4 Prospects Overview